Friday, April 14, 2006

What does the cow say?

B is learning to repeat when we tell her stuff and answering some questions, too. So, lately (I've had a couple of days off) I have been tring to teach her animal sounds using the Learning with Leap Frog books. Some she's already known and likes to try to answer even though her response is not perfect. For example, when asked "What does a duck say?" B promptly responds (assuming she's in the right mood for Q&A) "Duck! Duck!" so, I continue to repeat Quack! Quack! and she keeps trying.

So, yesterday, we were talking and I was telling her what a cow says. She wasn't quite understanding me. No big deal, so we moved on. But, as I kept talking to her about other animals she was not paying attention. She just kept going, "MMMMmmm..." over and over. Next thing you know she's saying "OOOOoooo" (Long U sound) and smiling. So, I went back to the cow and sure enough she was just teaching her self to say Moo. So, I chimed in also Mooing like crazy and she just stared at my lips. After a minute or two of this she was a pro. It was sounding a lot like she was saying Mmmm. Oooo. Two words. Now it's coming together really nicely and we're so proud.

It was so amazing to see her decide that she wanted to learn to say this word, sound it out, practice, and then finally bring it together. What an awesome accomplishment!

No comments: